Monday, November 12, 2012

Descriptive Writing with Beanie Babies!!!


I love Beanie Babies!  I am always the first in line to get the whole set from McDonald's when they come out!  Of course, when I taught Kindergarten, we used them for all sorts of things: sorting, counting, colors, etc...  When I moved up to Second Grade I almost gave them away, but I loved them too much.  So, they sat in a closet for a while.  Then, we were discussing descriptive writing one day.  We loved the idea of writing about food (yum), but we were trying to figure out what else the kiddos could describe.  I remembered my friends the Beanie Babies!  This is always one of my kiddos favorite writing activities!  Each kiddo picks out a B.B. and tries to be very sneaky about it!  Then, they write their description, riddle style.  Then, I collect all the papers and read them.  We line the toys up, and the kiddos try to figure out which Beanie Baby is being described!  They get so excited! 
The paper we use can be found here for free!  If you like it, I have several other pages with Prewriting Graphic organizers in my TPT store.  You can find them here!  Let me know what you think!  Thanks for reading!  :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I also was obsessed with Beanie Babies and had tons of them! What a great use for them! I'm a new follower!
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! Anything to keep the kiddos entertained. I also use them as an reward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that's a cool idea. I have some great action figures I could use with my class. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOO, Action Figures would be fun too, especially for the boys! Thanks for the comment Jason! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this idea. We have been using graphic organizers to try to enhance our descriptive writing and I've gradually acquired a lot of Beanies that I was just going to use as 'prizes'.

    But I have a question:

    What's the poster in the background of the third photo that ends with 'Nod your head' and 'Track the teacher' ??? I'm guessing it's the end of an acronym, but for what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on Pinterest. The acryonm is SLANT: Sit up, Listen, Ask questions, Nod your Head, Track the Teacher. I looked for the exact link, but the search is awful on pinterest. You might find the same poster if you look through my School Ideas board on Pinterest:
      School Stuff

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...